Saturday, September 1, 2007

Mexican Truck Drivers are Coming.

While on the road this week, I was listening to channel 147, the road dog, on my Sirius Radio when I heard that legislation passed for the Mexican trucker pilot program to begin. This was not a shock to me because I have been hearing about this since June. We knew it was coming and now it's here.

I can't say that I am happy about it, nor am I alone in feeling this way. We all know that Mexicans will work for lower wages. I believe that when Mexicans get established as US carriers then the American truck driver will start to lose money, and lots of it. When the customers we currently haul freight for realize the money they can save by using Mexican trucks, then US truckers will lose a lot of miles and loads.

For years the US government has appeared not to care about the truckers in this industry. It's all about that bottom dollar and how much they can earn from us. Now that this pilot program has begun, it just proves the theory that our government does not care about us. If they gave a rat's ass about US truckers, then they would have asked our opinion on this matter. They say it will be great for the economy. I beg to differ. It's going to cause MORE illegal immigration and there will soon start to be violence between US Truckers and Mexican Truckers.

I have said this before and I will say it again, I think that Mexico has a greater plan in mind. I think they are wanting to control our life line. And what is our life line? Trucking. Without trucks we would not be able to live like we do now. If Mexico, indeed, can control our trucking industry, then they control our country in essence. And it's not just Mexican Trucking companies. Did you know that almost all of our major carriers OWN trucking companies in Mexico? That's right. I hate to say it, but you owner operators are in trouble whether you believe me or not.

In Summary, this plan is a disaster waiting to happen. The answer to our problems are NOT opening our borders to other countries to haul our freight. I propose that we STOP letting these customers get away with these ALREADY low rates and the truckers should stand together to get better pay for themselves. That's why we are low on drivers now, because the pay structure has not changed in 40 years. Better pay equals more drivers. More drivers equals no open border policy neccesary. Let us utlize what we have to make this industry better and STOP bringing in foreigners to screw up our lives.

No comments: