Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Fuel prices effecting Company Drivers

I am now starting to notice that the company I drive for is having major problems keeping freight, or finding new freight, due to the freight rates and under bidding. Slowly I have been getting less and less work every week and it looks like it is only going to get worse for my family and me financially.

To make sure I am not the only one noticing this change, I talked to several drivers from different companies to see if they were having similar problems. One driver stated that this time last year she was averaging 2800 miles per week. Now she is averaging 1950 miles per week since January of 2008. Another driver from a different company said that since March of this year Big companies like JB Hunt and Werner Enterprises has taken over some of their major accounts. This caused half of this driver's company to be laid off. He said they have even started hearing rumors that his home terminal is going to be shut down, so his job is in jeopardy.

My wife and I have discussed these issues and how the fuel price is starting to hurt us too. I am even thinking about leaving truck driving and doing some other job until the government figures out that they can't keep relying on foreign oil because it is slowly killing everyone in this country. I have almost decided to quit driving for now. But I do know that I will come back to Trucking once the fuel situation is back under control.

I have "stuck it out" to long, and now it has hurt my family and me. So, for now, I am signing off as a Truck driver. I still love trucking and it pains me to leave the industry, but I have little choice now considering my family situation. And for all you politicians that control where we get our oil from... Shame on you! You have the ability to bring our country back to independence and for some reason you are too chicken shit to change. So as far as I am concerned, you can take you million dollar houses, boats and other things that myself and 300 million other americans have provided for you and stick them where the sun doesn't shine. You are not working for the people anymore and that makes you a peice of _ _ _ _ in my opinion. So keep drawing your checks for sitting on your asses to accomplish nothing and my family and I, like millions of others, will continue to struggle until you wake up and smell reality.

No comments: